14 Responses

1. Ryan

Thanks for making this app! Any chance that the ability to generate the name of a molecule could be added in the future? I’m a high school teacher and am using this to help make worksheets and practice problems in organic chemistry.

Thanks again!

• Ryan

Not that I can’t generate the names myself, it just saves time.

• Stefan

Hi,
        Thanks for your great feedback. I am a chemistry teacher too and it’s good to hear that my program seems to be useful. I have already thought about a name generator, but it’s not on top of my list of new features for MoleculeSketch. Mostly because I think, that it’s not an easy task to program. Anyway, I will keep it on the wish list. Just let me know, if you have other suggestions.
        Stefan

2. Tor

Hi Stefan, just bought your program and I really like it.
    My needs are simple – get structures, formulas and reactions into an article, and your app delivers.

I have one wish though, the ability to export the selection to png, jpg.

Keep up the good work!
    Tor

• Stefan

Hi Tor,

Thank you for the positiv feedback! I will take the possibility to directly export to png/jpg on the wish list for future improvements. In the mean time it is not too complicated to get a png or jpg of a MoleculeSketch structure. Just copy the structure and paste it in the standard macOS Preview App (in Preview App choose Edit in the menu bar an copy from pasteboard). You can then do whatever you like.
      Structure can also be pasted in any other (office) programs that support pdfs. This has the advantage, that you can scale the structure without loosing quality.

Sincerely
      Stefan

• Tor

Thank you Stefan, good tips there.
        Cheers, Tor

3. Matt

Hi Stefan,
    I’m having a very, very hard time figuring out how to use this program unfortunately! Like, if I want to create N2, how do I do that? Is there a shortcut way to add elements other than selecting them with the mouse up in the toolbar? Do you have videos explaining how to use molecule sketch? I have been through the support documentation, and haven’t had much luck learning how to use the program :/ It looks like the functionality is great though and I really want to learn to use it!

• Stefan

Hi Matt,
      I am sorry, that the use of MoleculeSketch is not as intuitive as it should be. I am developing this app on my own and do not have a lot of time in my spare time to work on tutorials and how-tos. At the moment all my effort is focused on developing an iPad version of MoleculeSketch, which will hopefully be finished soon…
      To answer your troubles:
      – to draw a N2 just choose the nitrogen atom in the toolbar and click in the drawing area. Then double click on the atom symbol. You can edit the symbol now. Just click after the “N” and type a “2”. When you click somewhere else in the drawing area you should get N2 (with correct subscript).
      – any atom in your structures can be edited by double clicking. You can even type complex functional groups using special formating commands, that are described in the second chapter of help under “editing atoms, adding functional groups”. If you want to add greek letters, just type the characters in latin letters, mark them and right click over the selected text. You will find an option “convert to greek characters” in context menu.

I hope this will help you. If you have more questions, just ask.
      Sincerely
      Stefan

4. Emilia

Hi Stefan I downloaded your programme and it is really quite useful, but is there a possibility to convert the msf file into another one for example xcd?
    Thanks
    Sincerely Emilia

• Stefan

Hi Emilia,

Unfortunately it is not possible to convert the msf files into other formats. But I will put it onto the to-do list!
      Sorry for the inconvenience.
      Sincerely, Stefan

• Stephen

Hi Stefan, I too find this to be an excellent program. I have a collaborator who uses Chemdraw. Is there anyway to read these files with Chemdraw and vice versa.
        Thanks, Stephen

• Stefan

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your positive feedback. Import and export capabilities of MoleculeSketch are unfortunately a bit restricted. You can import files in the MDL mol format (V2000). Chemdraw may be able to export to this file format. MoleculeSketch on the other hand has no export function (yet).

Sincerly
          Stefan

5. Karl

Hi Stefan,
    I think this is a great app but I still have some problems trying to figure out some minor details.
    In the pictures you see in the App Store, there apear equations with subscripts and superscripts.
    How do I insert them in the textbars?

Also, it would be nice to have a little more liberty with changing colors.
    Apart from that, I think it’s all good.

Karl

• Stefan

Hi Karl,

To insert sub- or superscripts in textboxes, just choose the text button (“abc”) in the menubar and click in a textbox or double click in a textbox with the selection tool (crossed arrows), then select the text you want to format and right-click on the selection to reveal the context menu. From there you can choose different format styles or change the font of the selected text.
      Element labels can also be formatted. Just double click on an atom label and type into the appearing textbox. There are special markup commands that can be used to format the label. You can find more information about this in the Help section “Editing atoms, adding functional groups”. I hope to find some time soon to develop a more intuitive UI implementation for the label formatting.

Sincerely